For all that hearing aids give us—often 16 hours or more of audible clarity—they need relatively little in return. A few small actions done daily can mean many years of high performance.
Like the best investments out there, hearing aids are a purchase that pay back quickly. Your dividends of enhanced communication, connection, and enjoyment of life’s daily soundtrack are invaluable. But to maintain their benefits, hearing aids need proper daily care. Below are some quick tips for caring for your hearing aids:
- Clean your hearing aids every day with a soft, dry cloth.
- Keep them dry: never use water, alcohol or cleansers.
- Use a dehumidifier kit regularly to help combat moisture.
- Use a wax loop or brush to remove earwax from the hearing aid or earmold.
- Change your wax filters every 1-2 months or any time your hearing aids sound weak.
- Schedule an appointment for us to replace earmolds and tubing when they become dry, cracked, stiff or discolored.
- Open the battery door when the hearing aid is not in use.
- Store it in a cool, dry place away from moisture and humidity.
- Protect your hearing aid from excessive heat.
- Never put your hearing aids in a pocket or wrap them in a tissue—use the protective cases they came with instead.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.